Saturday, August 6, 2011

SoccerPlus This Is Kelly

I have already begun to hear the camp phone ringing in my sleep, it haunts me in my dreams hahaha...not really But I cannot tell you how many times I have answered the camp phone (which is just in case of an emergency PARENTS!) 
*note to self when I have children and send them off to camp I will not bother the staff with DUMB questions, I will trust the staff with my kid the whole week, and I will teach my kids how to be social rather than them sit in their rooms with their cell phones and ipads by themselves and then claim they are homesick and he hasn't made any friends....geee duhh I wonder why not? 
At this camp their are so many opportunities to make new friends right off the bat but kids these days are so caught up in technology that they don't even interact with anyone and do not know how to carry on conversations without looking down at their phone at least once every five minutes.
Okay well i'm done with that rampant I just had to put that out there.
This camp has gone pretty smoothly though...I have gained my voice back and my sinus infection and Bronchitis are almost gone.  I "got" to be the only admin this week at the biggest camp rounding out with a total of 220 campers in 2 separate dorms wooo....but now looking back it's neat to say I walked out of this past week alive :)
This week has been fun though, it's been a lot more work then the past so I didn't get to go down to the fields and join in as much as I have in the past but I was able to jump in the NTC group one night and play on the staff team and won the small sided tournament. I was able to be a server for a session because Julia hurt her wrist....I got to help out in a demo (in which I scored on Louis....sorry I had to)
Julia and I were able to walk down a few times to the river and soak up the sun and chat about life during the week, we took many needed golf cart rides, and one trip to the hospital (in Vermont) to get her wrist looked at but turned into a nice get away adventure from camp for a few hours....the camp phone didn't have service in the hospital...tear
Here are a list of events that happened this past week
I got to be a lifeguard for a swim session
Pushed in the pool by drew
Played Star Wars
Planned a trip to Six Flags (failed once again)
Hooted with the Owls every night in the only place that has AC in the these dorms (the Hostile)
Dealt with printing off evals which is always more of a hassle than it should be
***gold star for me for getting up for every breakfast
I get to ride around in a big truck every day
Played a huge game of star wars
Drove to Boston
The trip to Boston was a success/failure
after leaving 5 hours late for Boston Julia Fletch Bobby and I arrive in Beverly and take a Taxi into Boston, well our Taxi driver (clone of woodstock) has no idea where he is going, has no GPS and pretends to look at a map after he pulls over twice. Not to mention we almost die as well as a few pedestrians at least three times because of his driving.  It makes it worse when he has the world's largest zit on his neck staring at all of us in the back seat the whole time. We finally make it to Quincy Market...walk around, grab a little snack, and then decide on a bar to get in....we can't get in because Julia "lost" :) her ID so we end up at the Restaurant Cheers for an hour or so walk around Boston some more and then call it a night as we all fell asleep on the taxi ride back to our friends house for the night. Fun 12 hour getaway adventure.
Now I officially have 10 days till I leave...crazy how fast it has flown by.
Countdown Begins:
Only One More Rooming List to figure out (so basically prob. 20 more hours :)
2 more attempts of printing out evals
One more week of the camp store
Last week of seeing that stupid Owl (which we now have 2 of)
Last week of the best camp food this summer
Last week of No AC
Only one more week of answering the phone SoccerPlus this is Kelly
10 more days of being with my family this summer :(
10 more days till I get to see my actual family and friends from home and Jack our dog!
10 more days till it's back to reality and my own big bed....

Bittersweet but still have so much to look forward to in the next 10 days

On a serious note I have learned so much about myself with this internship. Even from Day 1 to today how much I've learned and adjusted...I can now actually explain to people what SoccerPlus


This is what camp will do to you....haha

Driving into Boston





No comments:

Post a Comment